Search

Monday, March 13, 2023

Solar Seiko SCC913 'Speedtimer' is Such a Beaut; I wonder About The Old Chrono Movements

 

 

  Seiko has left me feeling discouraged recently, due to their QC problems and poor service issues which I have personally experienced. However, despite this, I can't help but admire the stunning SCC913 Solar Chrono, which Seiko has designed to perfection. At 41mm, it is larger than the first batch of 39mm Speedtimer lineup, and its design appears to draw inspiration from the early speedtimer mechanical chronograph models.

  However, the main issue I have with the SCC913 Solar Chrono is its high price, as a Solar Quartz. The prices for them now are more than doubled what the older Solar Quartz movments used to go for retail. While I understand that the production of automatic chronograph movements is a complex process, I can't help but wonder why Seiko cannot reissue the original 60s automatic chronograph movements for production. While Seiko does have newer automatic chronographs which are pretty trick but thick, and they are expensive. The old vintage chronographs are thin and svelt by comparison.

Unlike car companies, who cannot bring back older engines due to environmental or emissions regulations, I wonder why Seiko couldn't bring back those 60s automatic chronograph movements, even if it is in the form of a limited production for a higher price, though a high production number version would be neat. (And with QC up to scratch, of course).










No comments:

Post a Comment