Search

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Vintage Sandoz Automatic




Wow, this one is old. I don't know how old, but, it definitely is very old. Behold, my father's vintage Sandoz automatic. I have never heard of the name Sandoz but apparently it has been around since 1870s. Sandoz in the 1970s was split into several companies, according to Wikipedia, all of them named Sandoz but split into 4 areas of production, due to licensing. This became 4 separate brands, Sandoz Singapore, Sandoz Hong Kong, Sandoz Swiss and Sandoz Spain, each with their own line of products. 

Now, that means that, I am just really guessing here that this watch is either one of the post-1970s one, or the pre-1970s product. As the watch has the "Swiss Made" on it, it maybe the Swiss one. But really, I have no idea.

Condition:
When I found it, the second hand has fallen off sadly. And it doesn't tick. I can wind it, but it won't work. I have since cleaned it up a bit, and brought it over to my watch guy to have a look. He says he can see some rust (uh oh) but if that clears up there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong. Hopefully we can fix it.

The lug on the lower left side has also bent, most likely as a result of a fall. My watch guy says that he won't be touching that as he doesn't want to be held liable for breaking it off... fair enough. Well we will see how that will work out. Hopefully I can get it at least ticking again, and reoiled and serviced.

No comments:

Post a Comment